Who We Are:
SGCETC is a non-profit 501(c)(3) consortium of tribal nations that elected to use Self-Governance for the delivery of programs and services for their citizens and communities. We strive to assist all tribal nations to achieve their own goals of self-government and seek to ensure that the tenets and purpose of Self-Governance are accurately communicated and clearly understood by Congress, the Administration, tribal nations and all other interested parties.
The SGCETC serves as an information clearinghouse on historical and current Self-Governance legislation, policy and implementation since 1988. SGCETC’s mission is to:
- Share information and knowledge about Tribal Self-Governance, and
- Provide technical assistance to the Office of Self-Governance (Department of the Interior) and Office of Tribal Self-Governance (Department of Health & Human Services) with a focus on what Self-Governance means to tribal nations, defining and exploring relationships between tribal governments and the federal government, and the key policy provisions and intent of the Self-Governance statutes.
- Education: Assess the needs of tribal nations and provide training and information sessions related to Tribal Self-Government.
- Outreach and Communication: Increase awareness and understanding of Self-Governance and provide information to Tribal nations seeking to exercise their right to be self-governing.
- Program Development: Develop and disburse Self-Governance materials.
What we do:
- Obtain input from Self-Governance Tribes as to their service needs.
- Serve as a resource for Tribal governance.
- Develop and distribute materials that assist Tribal leaders and officials with program administration.
- Conduct information sharing sessions about Self-Governance.
- Support and assist Tribal Advisory Committees within the Indian Health Service and the Department of the Interior.
- Coordinate and convene conferences and training on Self-Governance.
- Coordinate Tribal review and comments on Annual Reports to Congress.
- Maintain Self-Governance legislative, planning and demonstration archives.
- Respond to inquiries about Tribal Self-Governance upon request.
- Monitor efforts to expand Self-Governance to other agencies within the Federal government and keep Self-Governance Tribes informed and updated about these activities.