The passage of the Great American Outdoors Act. P.L. 116-152 (GAOA), which authorized $900 million annually in permanent funding of Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), presents a number of exciting opportunities for conservation efforts and partnerships through the Department of the Interior (DOI).
The LWCF was established by Congress in 1964 to fulfill a bipartisan commitment to safeguard our natural areas, water resources, and cultural heritage, and to provide recreation opportunities to all Americans. The L WCF invests earnings from offshore oil and gas leasing to help strengthen communities, preserve our history, and protect our national endowment of lands and waters. The Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service and Fish and Wildlife Service all have programs that are funded through L WCF as well as the U.S. Forest Service at the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
DOI is scheduling the following listening sessions to create an opportunity for sharing and dialogue about these programs and to learn what Tribes see as important opportunities. In addition to hearing from you about opportunities, we would also like your input on the following questions:
1. What opportunities do you foresee for the LWCF program? Particularly in the areas of biodiversity, climate change, and access to public lands and equities in recreation?
2. What is important to highlight across the programs in Interior to show the benefits of LWCF to Tribes?
3. How do we encourage more Tribally led participation and access to the programs?
4. What ideas do you have that could maximize partnerships?
5. What topics should we have for future sessions?
Tribal Listening Sessions
Tuesday, October 5, 2021 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. ET
Please register in advance at: https://blm.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN UKGmmNTfS I edWc8rwHllmO
Monday, October 25, 2021 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET
Please register in advance at: https://blm.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN Xmz Sbs5RGGc6n eJbVNuA
We envision these first sessions as a starting point that informs future sessions and engagement. Please contact
LWCFund@ios.doi.gov if you have any questions about the listening sessions.