- This event has passed.
Tribal Consultation on U.S. Department of Education Fiscal Year 2024 Budget Priorities
June 30, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm EDT
On June 30, 2022, the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) will conduct Tribal Consultation on the development of priorities for ED’s Fiscal Year 2024 Budget. The purpose of the consultation will be to receive meaningful input and ensure that Tribal leader views inform budget priority development. This consultation will advance the Department’s commitment to uphold the federal trust responsibility as described in Executive Order 13175.
In accordance with OMB Circular A-11, the Department has identified at least 15 grant programs with Tribal implications. The following programs and/or program offices within ED will be present: American Indian Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), American Indian Vocational Rehabilitation Services (AIVRS), Impact Aid Programs (IAP), Native American Career and Technical Education Program (NACTEP), Native American-Serving Non-Tribal Institutions (NASNTI), Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA), Office of Indian Education (OIE), Rural, Insular, and Native Achievement Programs (RINAP), Tribally Controlled Postsecondary Career and Technical Institutions Program (TCPCTIP). The consultation will be conducted by the Office of Indian Education and facilitated by the White House Initiative on Advancing Educational Equity, Excellence, and Economic Opportunity for Native Americans and Strengthening Tribal Colleges and Universities.
Please follow the registration link above to participate in the consultation. To maintain online security, each attendee must register individually, and registration cannot be transferred to or used by others. Once you have completed registration, an individualized access link for the session will be sent to you with additional information.
Written public comments will only be collected through the TribalConsultation@ed.gov email address. The comment period is now open, and all comments must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET on July 1, 2022. The Department of Education remains steadfast in its commitment to honor the nation-to-nation relationship and advance Tribal sovereignty and self-determination. Questions about this notice can be sent to TribalConsultation@ed.gov, this consultation is a closed press event.
To inform Tribal leaders with the latest budget information, ED invites all participants to become familiar with the FY 2023 congressional budget justifications. The justifications can be accessed at:
https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget23/justifications/index.html. During the consultation, ED will invite Tribal leaders to provide input on the follow questions:
1. What are the areas of greatest educational need that should be prioritized in the agency budget proposal?
2. Are the request summaries outlined in the FY 2023 budget justification adequate and/or are there changes that should be considered as the FY 2024 justification is being contemplated?
3. What priority areas should ED focus on when considering funding levels for programs with Tribal implications? (e.g., early childhood, teacher recruitment, chronic absenteeism, access to advanced coursework, STEM, etc.)
4. Are there specific sources of information or data on the performance and needs of Native American students, teachers, and schools that you believe should inform budget development at the Department of Education?
5. As the Department conducts annual budget consultation, what information should be shared in advance in future years?
6. What budget development questions should ED consider asking in future years?
7. What suggestions do you have regarding how we can improve the Department’s presentation of budget information, particularly regarding funding programs with Tribal implications?